The online Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) Nurse Practitioner programs at Spring Arbor University in Michigan are CCNE accredited and deliver the primary care knowledge and clinical reasoning skills needed to prevent, assess, treat and manage acute and chronic disease.
- Family Nurse Practitioner ( FNP ) Degree: Advance to a position of autonomous care with the academic knowledge and clinical skills needed to treat patients of all ages
- Adult-Gerontology, Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Degree: Master the primary care knowledge and clinical reasoning skills needed to best care for adolescents, adults and the elderly
With the online MSN/NP program you can:
- Earn your degree while working shifts and rotations, taking one course at at time
- Enjoy direct access to nursing educators and a personal Student Success Coach
- Join a community of caregivers as you complete your core requirements with fellow students
- Nurse practitioners work in physician offices, outpatient care centers, surgical hospitals and home health care organizations.
- In some states, nurse practitioners can work independently.
- *The median annual wage is $107,460 for Nurse Practitioners (60% higher than RNs)
- SAU’s programs prepare you to sit for national certification.
- NUR 602 Advanced Assessment & Diagnostic Reason (3)
- NUR 645 Family Systems & Childbearing Family (3)
- NUR 642 Chronic Disease & Complex Problems in Older Adults (3)
For a full course listing and descriptions, download a program guide.
What are the Steps to Becoming an FNP or Nurse Practitioner?
- Start at the beginning if possible. Graduate from high school with the best GPA possible in an academic program with a strong science background.
- Online nurse practitioner programs can be competitive. Some prospective students volunteer in hospitals to strengthen their college applications.
- Enroll in an accredited online BSN-program. There are multiple educational routes to an advanced practice nursing degree, but a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution fulfills most of the prerequisites for graduate nursing studies. Online BSN programs certified by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) or the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) are necessary to advance to graduate online nursing studies.
- Sit for NCLEX examination and obtain a registered nursing license.
- If pursuing an ADN or diploma, develop and prepare research options for online RN-MSN programs to get on the right track for advanced nursing degrees.
- While not necessary, many online MSN students work for 1-2 years to gain experience before resuming school. Employee tuition reimbursement is an attractive option for some students.
- Research and apply for acceptance to an accredited graduate school and pursue a graduate degree in nursing.
- Most advanced online nursing degrees require 1.5 to 4 years of coursework. The amount of time needed depends on the type of degree and whether the student chooses to go to school part-time or full-time. An online MSN degree takes about two years, and a doctorate of nursing practice (DNP) takes an average of four years.
- After online degree completion, apply for specialty certification after completing requirements for that specialty.